Kingsland Manor: Toward the Future
Last of 40-acre 1700s Colonial Manor
THE NUTLEY TRACT
Download and print enrollment form:
The latest chapter opened when the then owner requested permission to subdivide two side-yards and build new homes on them. By 1973 the original 40 acres had dwindled to one acre.
A Planning Board member petitioned the Town Commission to save the site. A Green Acres grant was sought and eventually the Town purchased the Kingsland Manor shortly thereafter in 1973 for $90,000, half of this covered by the grant.
With roof, walls, and floors in Town possession, the dreams aired during preservation pleas needed foundation, expression and execution.
Behind the walls
To this end, the Commission authorized formation of The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley, a group of actively interested citizens whose task was to move Kingsland Manor toward the broad goal of landmark, museum and local activity resource. Working in committees, the volunteers have set the restoration program on course.
In 1935 the Department of Interior sent unemployed architects to make drawings and record in great detail for the Historic American Building Society houses they thought worthwhile to document. The Kingsland Manor was documented in 1941 during the time the home was inhabited by Ralph Smith. The Trust was very fortunate to acquire from the Library of Congress copies of the H.A.B.S. drawings to guide us in the restoration.
Web site development & maintenance provided at no cost to
Kingsland Manor, The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley
Web Site Sponsored by: