Kingsland Manor: The Homestead
|The Kingsland Family Homestead to Generations||
THE NUTLEY TRACT
Download and print enrollment form:
As for the homestead itself, as the members of the Kingsland family called it, the main section was probably built around 1768 with a small summer kitchen annexed in the 1790s. Other interior renovations and three dormers were added to the front of the house in the same period.
In about 1860, a separate outbuilding which served as a barn was connected to the main house and converted into the “ballroom” by Joseph, Jr. who inherited the homestead. At this time, the triangular dormers at the back of the house were added, changing the character of the house to Victorian.
Kingsland branched into the paper business with such an abundance of wood pulp available in the woods nearby. Joseph and his son-in-law, Peter Morris, operated the “Madison Mills”. During this time, the partners purchased many tracts of land along the Essex/Passaic County line, mostly in the Delawanna area.
After Joseph Senior died in 1821, Joseph Jr. and Morris continued operations. The sons of Joseph Jr., Joseph III and Richard Kingsland continued paper manufacture in the “Passaic Mills” after their father retired in 1856. The mill burned in 1873.
The Manor served the Kingslands well. Joseph Jr. lived there until his death in 1878 and his two daughters, Martha and Margaret lived there until 1902. After almost 120 years of Kingslands in residence the homestead changed hands in 1909.
Web site development & maintenance provided at no cost to
Kingsland Manor, The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley
Web Site Sponsored by:
Separate and independently operated