Kingsland Manor Celebrates the Birth of New Jersey and Our Rich History
Kingsland Manor Joins Celebration
THE NUTLEY TRACT
Download and print enrollment form:
The Kingsland Manor is joining in the celebration of 350 years of New Jersey with a ‘Birthday’ celebration and open house at the Manor, at 1 p.m. Sunday, June 15, 2014.
Please come celebrate the 350th birth day of New Jersey and learn the Kingsland Manor's role in our great history.
And so New Jersey was born.” The area, previously owned by the Dutch and known as New Netherlands, was renamed by Sir George Carteret on receiving the royal grant after the island of Jersey where he lived.
The Royal Governor of New Jersey, Philip Carteret, a cousin of Sir George, granted the first land patent of 15,308 acres of land stretching from the junction of the Passaic and Hackensack rivers and seven miles north to Captain William Sanford and Major Nathaniel Kingsland on July 4, 1668. This land grant established the Kingsland family roots in our area.
First Land Patent granted to Nathaniel Kingsland
The westerly portion of the county (Bergen) was included in the purchase by Captain William Sandford from the Parish of St. Mary's in the Island of Barbadoes. Governor Carteret and council granted this tract to Sandford, July 4, 1668.
It contained within its boundaries an area of 15,308 acres, extending from the point of union of the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers about seven miles northward along said rivers, to a spring now known as Boiling Springs, or Sandford Spring, near Rutherford.
This purchase was made by Sandford for himself and Major Nathaniel Kingsland, also from the Island of Barbadoes, and the same was subsequently divided between Sandford and Kingsland.
Kingsland, who became the owner of the northern part (including part of the present Bergen County), resided in what is now known as "Kingsland Manor," south of Rutherford, in Bergen County, while Sandford, who became the owner of the southerly part, resided in what is now East Newark, in Hudson County.
Much of this large section of territory remained vested in the respective descendants of Sandford and Kingsland for many years after their deaths.
Early Settlers of Bergen County
Some of the original settlers of what is now Bergen County were descendants of those who have been mentioned as having settled Hudson County. Others came from Manhattan Island, Long Island, New Harlem, Yonkers, Albany, Esopus, Kingston, and other already established settlements, while still others came direct from Europe.
The grant of section 1 to William Sandford, in 1668, as before stated, extended north as far as Boiling Springs near Rutherford. The northern half of this was released to Kingsland. In 1702 Elias Boudinot, a French Huguenot, purchased a large tract from the Kingslands, described as butting on the Passaic River, in Bergen County.
John and William Stagg, Bartholemew Feurst, Daniel Rutan, Jacob Van Ostrand, Cornelius Vanderhoff, Herpert Gerrebrants, John Varrick, David Provost, John Van Emburgh, Jacob Wallings (Van Winkle), and Henry Harding acquired title to portions of the tract in Bergen County, but the hulk of Kingsland's estate, at his death, passed by his will to his near relatives, who settled on it and retained it for many years.
In 1668 Captain (afterward Major) John Berry received from Governor Carteret a patent for section 2, being all the lands between the Hackensack and Saddle Rivers for a distance of six miles north from Sandford's purchase, or nearly as Far as Cherry Hill, on the New Jersey and New York Railroad. Berry settled and built his home mansion on the southerly part of this tract, and on his death, most of it passed to the ownership of his heirs.
Part IV – East Jersey’s Earliest Settlements
Adapted from John E. Pomfret, The New Jersey Proprietors and Their Lands, 1664-1776 (Princeton, 1964) and John P. Snyder, The Story of New Jersey’s Civil Boundaries, 1606-1968 (Trenton, 1969).
Bergen, 1661/1665 – Originally settled by the Dutch as part of the New Netherland colony and incorporated by Peter Stuyvesant in 1661. Settlements included Harsimus and Communipaw (parts of Jersey City), and Pemrepaugh (part of Bayonne).
In November 1665, thirty-two residents took the oath of allegiance to the proprietors—the first settlers in New Jersey to do so. Chartered as Bergen Township under Governor Carteret on 22 September 1668.
From 1667 to 1670, huge purchases were made in the Bergen area with the approbation of Carteret by speculators from Barbados, namely William Sandford, Nathaniel Kingsland and John Berry. The area was called “New Barbadoes”; certain grants were within the boundaries of Newark (see below).
East Jersey Counties during the Proprietary Period:
Bergen – Established 7 March 1683. In 1693, formally divided into Bergen and Hackensack Townships. New Barbadoes added from Essex County in 1710.
Essex – Established 7 March 1683. In 1693, formally divided into townships of New Barbadoes & Acquackanonk (a single township), Newark and Elizabeth-Town.
Web site development & maintenance provided at no cost to
Kingsland Manor, The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley
Web Site Sponsored by:
Separate and independently operated