Kingsland Manor Artifacts continued

This 1700s Colonial Is Steeped in History

Here Are Some Items You Should See When You Visit

Virtual Tour, Page Two

Kingsland Family Pictures and Paintings
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Kingsland

In July 1978 we received a donation of pictures and paintings owned by the Kingsland family from Robert Elwood Kingsland and his wife, Barbara Nancy Brown. Robert’s father was Robert Henry Kingsland. Robert Henry was born in the Delawanna section of Clifton, N.J., in 1893. During WWI, being over 6’ tall, Robert served in the Military Police as an Army Sergeant. In 1921, he married Clara Francis Sanford who was born in Goshen, N.Y., in 1891, and raised two children, Robert Elwood and his sister, Henrietta.

The picture is of a young Clara Francis. The description that was written when the picture was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: 15-1/2” x 19-1/2” picture of a child (Mrs. Kingsland as a child); oak, carved veneer frame. The age of Clara in the picture is not given.

One of the paintings is of Robert Henry Kingsland. It is described as: 19” x 13” oval; Robert Henry Kingsland, born April 20, 1893, died Sept. 12, 1975; frame is damaged; metal.

The second painting is of Clara Francis Kingsland. It is described as: matching frame; Mrs. Kingsland (Clara Francis Sanford Kingsland), born Aug. 30, 1891, died Nov. 11, 1973. The frame is not damaged on this painting.

Robert Henry and Clara Francis are buried in East Ridgelawn Cemetery in Clifton.

This picture and paintings are on display in the Parlor of the Kingsland Manor.

Robert Henry Kingsland, Clara F. Kingsland


A New Map of the Island of Barbadoes
Donated by Pauline Kingsland Dall

In November 1983 we received a donation of a map of Barbados from Pauline Kingsland Dall, the great-great cousin of Joseph Kingsland III. Pauline Theriot Kingsland was born in New York City in 1920 and married Mark Healey Dall in 1946. Mark was born in Brookline, MA in 1915.

The significance of the map’s location and the spelling of “Barbadoes” recalls the arrival of the Kingsland family to New Jersey in the 1660s. Nathaniel Barnewall Kingsland had a sugar cane plantation in Barbados from the time he arrived from England in 1645 until his death in 1686. At that time, Barbadoes was the correct spelling for this West Indies island. In 1668, Nathaniel received the first patent of land issued in New Jersey by Philip Carteret, the Royal Governor. Never having visited the new colony personally, he instead sent his brother Robert’s sons, Isaac and Gustavus, to manage the 15,308 acres of land he was granted. The Kingsland patent today encompasses the towns of Lyndhurst, Rutherford, East Newark, North Arlington, and Harrison.

Pauline and Mark were married 54 years when he died in Sedona, AZ in 2000. Pauline died seven years later in 2007. They are both interred in Massachusetts where Mark was born.

The description that was written when the map was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: entitled – “A New Map of the Island of Barbadoes”. A yellow patch shows the Kingsland origin. The map itself – 19-2/3” x 16-3/4” on a golden-brown mat; the buff color frame is 26-1/2” x 23-1/2”.

The map of Barbados is displayed in our Museum.

A New Map of the Island of Barbadoes


Joseph Kingsland III portraitJoseph Kingsland Portrait
Donated by Gertrude Kingsland Austin

In May 1980 we received a donation of a picture of Joseph Kingsland III from Mrs. Trudy Austin who lived on Kingsland Road in Clifton. Trudy was formally Gertrude Kingsland, the great-great granddaughter of Henry Joseph Kingsland (1778-1826), the first-born son of Joseph Kingsland. Trudy was born in 1920 and was a professional model and later a narrator. She married Jack Payne Austin in 1960. It was the second marriage for them both. At the time of the donation, they were both living in Newton, NJ. Jack passed away in 2002 and Trudy in 2006.

The description that was written when the picture was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: portrait of Joseph Kingsland; frame made by him; 14-1/2” x 12-1/2” oak wood 1-1/2” wide; Picture itself – 5” x 3-5/8”.

The picture of Joseph Kingsland III is displayed in the Parlor.


Kingsland Coat of Arms
Donated by Pauline Kingsland Dall

In March 1983 we received a donation of the pen and ink drawing of the Kingsland Coat of Arms from Pauline Kingsland Dall, the great-great cousin of Joseph Kingsland III.

When Nicholas Barnewall was elevated to Viscount in 1645, the land of his Viscountcy was the Kings land. He was referred to as Lord Kingsland and the name stuck. With the title came a coat of arms.

The description that was written when the drawing was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: eagle?; scrollwork-maroon and silver blue on beige parchment; ½” black frame, width 10-3/4”, length 12-3/4” Malo mori quam firdari?; Kingsland. A further description was added later: Mrs. Dall was dissatisfied with the original frame, so she had it reframed. There is very little difference in the measurements. The color of the frame is now black and gold. It was returned to us Dec. 1983.

The back of the framed drawing reads: Kingsland Coat of Arms. Should have a 5th feather. Sketched by Robert E. Kingsland about 1979.

The translation of the Latin “malo mori quam foedari” in the drawing is “Death before dishonor”. The reference to a 5thfeather refers to the number of feathers that should have been included in the crown below the eagle. We are not sure that the crown is correct. It more than likely should have been a helmet. Included with this artifact are two more examples of the Kingsland Coat of Arms. In our Dining room we have a needlepoint version, and, in our Museum, we have an ink and watercolor rendition of the coat of arms. The ink and watercolor rendition is probably the most accurate.

This pen and ink drawing of the Kingsland Coat of Arms is in a glass case in our Museum.

Kingsland Family Coat of Arms, Death before Dishonor


Kingsland Family Quilts
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Kingsland

Robert Elwood and Barbara Brown Kingsland have been extremely generous to the Kingsland Manor over the years. We will be highlighting several of their valuable donations as we continue our virtual open house tour of the Kingsland artifacts.

In July 1978 we received a donation of four quilts owned by the Kingsland family from Robert Elwood Kingsland and his wife, Barbara Nancy Brown. Robert was born in Newark, NJ in 1924. Barbara was born in Pompton Lakes, NJ in 1926 and was a registered nurse. During WWII, Robert was an Army Medic in the European theater. They married in 1948 and raised two children, a son, Robert Steven, and a daughter, Nancy Diane. Robert Elwood was a graphic artist and we have several of his pen and ink drawings on display in the Manor. He passed away in Sun City West, AZ and is buried in the Crest Haven Cemetery in Clifton, NJ.

Here is a description of two of the quilts donated and pictured below. The first is called a Star quilt.

70” x 87-1/2”; white background with two different rose colors pattern; backing is pink roses on white.

The second quilt is quite spectacular in its six-sided polygon design.

73” x 65” six-sided polygons arranged around one center polygon going out from the center in rings; backing is gray with small gold and white cubes.

Besides the pictures of the quilts, we include pictures of Robert Elwood and Barbara Brown Kingsland.

These quilts are on display in the Master Bedroom of the Kingsland Manor.

Star Quilt on display at Kingsland ManorPolygon Quilt on display at Kingsland Manor

 Robert Elwood Barbara Brown Kingsland, family member


Summer Kitchen Tools

Our Summer Kitchen holds several tools that were used during the 18th and 19th century. The items listed were donations and purchases made to add to the authenticity of our kitchen and provide historic reality to the rigors of open-hearth cooking.

Prior to stove top cooking, open-hearth cooking was the method used to prepare foods. Hot coals were spread onto a stone floor and pots were placed over the coals on trivets. Our trivet was purchased in 1976 by one of the Trust’s founding members, Irwin Brill. Here is a description of the item taken when the trivet was accepted by the Manor: 18thcentury trivet; iron; 2 legs (under the pot stand) 1 leg 5” (at the end of the trivet); moveable arm holds spoon; 21” long overall.

We have a beehive oven in our summer kitchen so named because it resembles a bee’s hive from the outside of the summer kitchen. It functioned as a brick oven would today. Hot coals were placed in the oven and left until the base of bricks in the oven warmed to the temperature needed to bake breads, cakes, pies, cookies, etc. Then the coals were swept from the oven and the items were placed with those needing the most baking time toward the back of the oven. A paddle, like a pizza paddle was used to do this. Our paddle was donated to us in August of 1977 by Mr. and Mrs. John Griffith. John’s son runs the Griffith Shade Company in Nutley established in 1950. He also donated a butter mold at that time. Butter was churned in the kitchen and when ready was placed into a mold giving the butter form and a decorative impression.

We also have a cabbage shredder donated to us by Miss Josephine Schrimpe of Annapolis, MD in June of 1987. The purpose of this item is evident in the name. The item is described as: an ingenious design – 17-1/4” x 6” wooden form with 2 metal blades made adjustable for desired thickness by means of 2 slender bolts and wingnuts. Pressed into the back of board; 626 T and D Mfg. Co., Indianapolis, Made in USA.

Trivet, cooking utensil in Summer Kitchen Summer kitchen, butter mold, paddle

Cabbage slicer, summer kitchen artifact


Patchwork Quilt
Donated by Mrs. Russell Eichinger

In December 1975 we received a donation from Mrs. Russell Eichinger of a patchwork quilt. Mr. and Mrs. Eichinger lived on Rutgers Place in Nutley.

The description that was written when the patchwork quilt was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: 66” x 81”; red and white patchwork – geometric design; white backing.

This strikingly attractive quilt is currently in the Master Bedroom

Patchwork quilt on display at Kingsland Manor


Whitaker’s Peerage, Knightage and Companionage
Donated by Pauline Kingsland Dall

In December 1983 we received a donation of the 1928 edition of Whitaker’s Peerage from Pauline Kingsland Dall, the great-great cousin of Joseph Kingsland III.

Whitaker's Peerage is “a Directory of Titled Persons and containing an extended list of the Royal Family, the Peerage with titled issue, Dowager Ladies, Baronets Knights and Companions, Privy Councillors and Home and Colonial Bishops with a comprehensive introduction and an index to Country Seats.”

The description that was written when the book was accepted by the Historic Restoration Trust was: “a 1928 Edition of Whitaker’s Peerage, Knightage, and Companionage”; 8-3/4” x 5-3/4” – bright blue with gold letters; pages are gilt edged; it belonged to Mrs. Dall’s father who was Harold Kingsland.

Harold Nutting Kingsland was born in Melbourne Australia in 1889. He married Mathilda Marie Theriot in South Orange, NJ in 1919 after returning from WWI. Mathilda was born in 1891. They had two daughters, Pauline born in 1929 and Mathilda born in 1924. Harold passed away in 1978 and his wife, Mathilda passed away in 1979.

An inscription inside the edition of the book reads: “Harold Kingsland’s with love and kisses from WKS. Lambert Simnel. There are two x’s on page 41 referencing the Baron of Trimblestown and the Earl of Clanricande. There is a wealth of history in the references of Lambert Simnel, Trimblestown and Clanricande that tie into the Kingsland family. We have no idea whose initials are WKS.

Whitaker’s Peerage is in the bookcase in our Office.

Whitaker’s Peerage Barontage Knightage and Companionage Historic Peerage, London, England, 1928

Dr. Barnardo's Homes Historic Peerage, London, England, 1928


Continue Virtual Tour

Page One, Page Two, Page Three, Page Four, Page Five


Copyright© 2020 The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley

Kingsland Manor Restoration Trust
3 Kingsland Street
Nutley, NJ 07110

Directions - PDF

Directions - Word

973-661-3410

CONTACT US:

Email Inquiries Kingsland Manor


Follow us on Facebook

Check-in when you visit


Kingsland Manor
A brief history


Are you a member of the Kingsland Restoration Trust?

Please join us.


KINGSLAND GENEALOGY
Descendants of Sir Patrick Barnewall Kingsland; (2018) 227 pgs.


Kingsland Restoration Trust has joined Blue Foundry Bank's Community Alliance Program to help raise funds.

See how your banking can help support the Kingsland Manor restoration at no additional cost to you.

Blue Foundry Bank community Alliance at Kingsland Manor, Nutley, NJ


All events and links are subject to change.


Web site development & maintenance provided at no cost to

Kingsland Manor, The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley

Email Site Comments to Webmaster


Web Site Sponsored by:

Nutley Notables: The men and women who made a memorable impact on our home town, Nutley, New Jersey Volume One, Volume Two

Nutley Notables:  The men and women who made a memorable impact on our home town, Nutley, New Jersey    Nutley Notables Vol. 2: The men and women who made a memorable impact on our home town, Nutley, New Jersey  Nutley Sons Honor Roll: Remembering the men who paid for our freedom

Nutley Sons Honor Roll - Remembering the Men Who Paid For Our Freedom